Customs Broker Licences

The Customs Act 1901 (Customs Act) provides that only the owner of goods or a customs broker licenced by the Comptroller-General of Customs for the Department of Home Affairs (the Department), can submit an import declaration to enter goods for home consumption in connection with the importation of those goods. In Australia all customs brokers are licensed by the Department in line with Division 3 Part XI of the Customs Act.

Under the Customs Act 1901 (Cth), Customs Broker licences can only be issued to natural persons, companies or partnerships.  A licence cannot be issued to other forms of entity, such as a trust.You need to ensure you apply for the correct licence type.

  • A Customs Broker’s licence is granted for a period of up to three years.
  • All Customs Broker licences expire on 30 June, at intervals of three years.

We will send an application for renewal of licence to the last known address of the licensee. The licensee will then be responsible for returning the completed renewal application and the payment of the licence fee.

Licence types

Corporate Customs Broker Licence

If you are acting for a company that requires a licence so that they can operate a customs brokerage business or a natural person that wishes to operate a customs brokerage business owned jointly by yourself and other parties (whether natural people or companies) see the Corporate customs broker page.

Nominee Customs Broker Licence

If you are a natural person and require a licence to operate as a customs broker employed by a corporate or sole trader customs brokerage, see the Nominee customs broker page.

Sole Trader Customs Broker Licence

If you are a natural person and intend to operate your business as a sole trader, see the Sole trader customs broker page.